Food is our common ground, a universal experience.
James Beard

Monday, October 25, 2010

Pumpkin Bread

I have been looking for recipes that used agave nectar instead of sugar because of the health benefits.  I came across this one and decided to make a few changes and try it out.  I left out the raisins and walnuts since I knew my kids would be eating it and it tastes great without them.  It is really good!


1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup agave nectar (light or dark)
1 cup pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
3/4 cup water
2 eggs
2 cups unbleached flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour. You can also use 1 cup whole and 1 cup white. Using regular whole wheat flour might make it a little too dense)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup raisins (if desired)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (if desired)





  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

  • Butter and flour a loaf pan.

  • Add agave, pumpkin, water, and eggs.

  • In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and baking soda and mix to blend.

  • Pour the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture and mix until thoroughly incorporated.

  • Add raisins and nuts, if desired.

  • Pour batter into pan and bake for about one hour, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out mostly clean* (it took over an hour for me, but I was afraid to raise the temperature)

  • Allow to cool before slicing


  • *This recipe is moist, so if you are testing it by inserting a fork, it may not come out completely clean when done.

    Read about the health benefits of agave nectar here, but keep in mind that it is still a sugar with all of the calories associated with any sweetener.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment